Happy New Year!
Welcome back, everyone! I hope you had a wonderful break and had the opportunity to unwind and spend time with friends and family.
I can’t believe 2019 is here already. Fall semester sure went by in a blur! It began with record enrollment in our college- more than 5,000 undergraduate and 1400 post-graduate students enrolled in our five campuses for the first time in our history. With increased revenues, donations, and a record $33 million in research expenditures in the past fiscal year, our college continued to make progress towards budgetary stability. And once again, our students, staff, and faculty quickly made a name for themselves and our college through their achievements and honors. Here are just a few honors from throughout the college:
- Jean-Sabin McEwen was named a 2018 Influential Researcher by Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research.
- The Lewiston Tribune / Moscow Pullman Daily News highlighted Candis Claiborn as one of the region’s pioneering women.
- Yuehe Lin was named a 2018 Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics and was elected to the Washington State Academy of Sciences.
- Mona Ghandi’s “Architecture of Emotive Intelligence” was in the winner section of the “Laka Competition: Architecture that Reacts” and got Honorable Mention in the competition.
- Hamid Rad was recognized one of the Provost’s Featured Faculty Members.
- Krishnamoorthy Sivakumar and Shelley Pressley became Voiland College’s Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Associate Dean of Student Services, respectively.
- Scott Hudson became the interim Executive Director for the WSU Tri-Cities School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
- WSU Everett student Kaitlin Ferguson was selected to receive the Women in Engineering Rising Star Award.
Before we get back to our busy-bee hive of activity, I want to take a moment to thank all of you for the tremendous work each of you do every day to support the success of our students and our impactful research. I look forward to sharing our accomplishments and honors as we move forward this spring.
Wishing you peace, joy, and prosperity in 2019 – and always!
Mary Rezac (she/her/hers)
Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture
Washington State University
526 Carpenter Hall
PO Box 642250
Pullman, WA 99164-2250
Phone: (509) 335-5593