New Director of the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that Professor John McCloy has accepted the appointment of director of the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME) effective July 1, 2022.

A Fulbright and American Ceramic Society Fulrath award winner, McCloy has been with Washington State University since 2013, where his research interests focus on ceramics and metals, electronic materials, and nuclear engineering and materials.

Having recently served as the director of Institute of Materials Research (IMR), McCloy brings a wealth of experience to his new role. Prior to his work at WSU, McCloy worked in materials research and development for Raytheon Missile Systems and Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.

I am pleased with MME’s efforts to promote an engaged and inclusive environment during the MME director selection process, and I would like to thank everyone who took part. I look forward to working with Professor McCloy and MME to develop a leadership structure that continues to reflect these values.

To enable John to fully focus on his new role as MME Director, he will be relinquishing the duties of IMR director. David Field will be stepping into that role. Dave has served as the college Associate Dean for Research (ADR) for a number of years. He will transition from the ADR role to the IMR Director position on July 1. You will see additional information about the ADR leadership opportunity soon.

I would also like to thank departing MME director Indranath Dutta for his exemplary service to MME in this role for the past five years. It has been my distinct pleasure to work alongside Indranath, and I wish him all the best in his retirement.

Please join me in congratulating Professor McCloy on his appointment.

Mary Rezac's signature.

Mary Rezac
Dean, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture
Washington State University
Email: mary.rezac@wsu.edu
Phone: 509-335-5593