A Note From Dean Rezac

Dear Colleagues,

Congratulations on completing another successful semester!

Spring is a time of change here at Voiland College. More than 1,000 of our students have graduated and gone off to make their way in the world, and several of our colleagues are moving on to new adventures. We’ll miss them all but wish them well in the next phases of their lives – whether it’s an exciting new job or a happy retirement.

We’re also transitioning academic program leadership in several units. You can expect to hear more about those changes over the next week or so. I had hoped to have all these details resolved by now, but I’m behind on things. Keep reading to learn why.

On April 30th, the good folks at the Oregon Health and Sciences University’s Casey Eye Institute provided emergency retinal surgery for me. I had a fairly large, macula on retinal detachment in my right eye. The surgeons decided to give me ‘the works’ as a treatment method. So, I had a vitrectomy (they removed the vitreous gel from the eye), laser surgery to weld the retina back in place, an SF6 gas bubble inserted in the eye to act as a bandage that pushes the retina in place and keeps liquid away, and a scleral buckle installed (think of this like a belt around the outside of the eye pushing the outside in). No option was skipped.

My recovery has consisted of me positioning my head to ensure that the bubble stayed in the correct location and severely limiting any activities that would cause my eyes to move (like reading emails). The bubble has now largely dissipated, and my brain is learning to ignore the discomfort of having a zip-tie around my eye.

While I haven’t yet been released to return to work, my time limit on reading has been relaxed (but not removed) and I’m trying to work my way through the pressing issues and the unresolved emails. I apologize to those of you who have reached out with questions or requests over the past few weeks and haven’t heard back from me. If I haven’t responded to something that you submitted by the end of this week, feel free to send me a reminder.

Finally, I want to thank all of the Voiland College staff, associate deans, and academic leaders who have ensured that the college’s students, employees, and partners have been well-served. This college couldn’t function without this group.

Go Cougs!

Mary Rezac's signature.

Mary Rezac
Dean, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture
Washington State University
Email: mary.rezac@wsu.edu
Phone: 509-335-5593