Tenure and promotion
The Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture presents its college-specific procedures and criteria for tenure and promotion for Voiland College tenure-track/tenured faculty and clinical and research faculty. As required by the WSU Faculty Manual, Section III.D.4, Page 54, these Voiland College procedures and criteria supplement those in the WSU Faculty Manual, which presents the official general procedures and criteria for the granting of tenure and advancement in ranks. These two documents outline these official criteria and procedures for Voiland College faculty. It should be noted that neither promotion nor tenure is automatic, but requires affirmative action on the part of the university administration.
In order to account for the distinct character of the various college programs, two sets of criteria for tenure and promotion apply:
- one set to those departments and schools which administer engineering and/or computer science programs. Current department and schools/programs are:
- Gene and Linda Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, WSU Tri-Cities
- School of Engineering and Computer Science, WSU Vancouver
- School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
- another set to the:
- School of Design and Construction
Additional supplementary criteria may be developed by individual departments/schools within the college pertaining to the portion of a program offered at a branch campus or for programs offered only at branch campuses. These criteria should be directed toward the goals and objectives of those particular units. In such cases, the supplementary department/school criteria must be approved by the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Dean, and the Provost.
In rare appointments in which the requirement of a position dictates the use of special criteria, those criteria must be approved in writing by the Dean and the Provost at the time of initial appointment. As stated in the WSU Faculty Manual, weighting of criteria may reflect other considerations. The related weighting factors must be included as a part of the tenure and promotion documentation.
Office of the Provost:
Promotion and Tenure