What makes Washington State University stand out from the crowd for many of those looking to get an engineering degree? It starts with a supportive community.

We ask recent materials science and engineering graduate Anna Yurkin for thoughts on what makes WSU Pullman such a special place.

Name: Anna Yurkin

Major: Materials Science and Engineering

High School/Community College: North Central High School, Spokane Falls Community College

Activities: Boeing Mentors Program, IEEE Hardware Hackathon, Voiland College Peer Career Coach

Q: Why did you choose materials science and engineering as your major?
A: I love materials science and engineering. I believe the future is all about quality, reliability, and durability, which is the focus of the materials science and engineering program. It is also one of the more “hands-on”-type jobs that you can have as an engineer.

I like being in a laboratory, making sense of what is occurring on a small scale, helps make larger decisions about how to implement changes on a large scale.

Q: What have you learned during your time at WSU that will help you most in your future?
A: Classes are important, that is where you get your foundation, but your skill is really shaped through internships. WSU made it possible for me to meet many great companies and have the opportunity to work as a summer intern. The valuable knowledge and hands-on work that I was able to accomplish during these summer internships will help me most in my future career.

Q: What has been your favorite program that you’ve been involved with at WSU?
A: Even though I am not an electrical engineer, I participated in hardware hackathons. The hackathons are 24-hour-long competitions that conclude with presentations and prizes. I was able to win a 3D printer, that came in very handy during COVID for my remote senior design project. All around, the competition is fun!

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to mention about your experience at WSU?
A: Voiland College Career Services is one of the best resources at the university. They helped me with my resume, interviewing skills and put on very helpful workshops! I highly encourage all student to use the career services office, it can make a difference in landing a job. My academic counselor was also imperative to my success. She was very helpful, organized, and communicative. I would suggest for everyone to be very open and honest with their academic counselors, they can help!