What makes Washington State University stand out from the crowd for many of those looking to get an engineering degree?

We ask mechanical engineering major Ian Wells for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Name: Ian Wells

Major: Mechanical Engineering, graduating May 2023

Scholarships & Grants

• VCEA Robert W. Finch Memorial Scholarship
  • Tau Beta Pi Scholarship
  • Puget Sound Engineering & Science Scholarship Fund Founder’s Scholar
  • Auvil Fellowship
  • WSU Cougar Award
  • NASA BIG Idea Challenge Finalist research grant

Awards

• 2022 President’s Award for Leadership
  • Artemis Award and Best Technical Paper, NASA BIG Idea Symposium

Q: Why would you recommend attending Washington State University?
A: I’d recommend attending Washington State University for the amazing sense of community. I feel accepted and have a support system here that has enabled more than I hoped or expected, including getting my dream job of performing research for NASA.

Q: What have you learned so far that will help you most in your future?
A: First, people at WSU are really are there for you. I’m still working on it, but reaching out more when you need help is a powerful skill. There are resources and people willing to help for just about any situation you may need it for.

Second, get started. Do the next thing that moves you in the direction you want, no matter how small. Dr. Leachman has encouraged me to consider this in my work in the Hydrogen Properties for Energy Research (HYPER) Lab and in all aspects of my life. Often, small actions can save countless hours of conjecture.

Q: What advice do you have for incoming students?
A: I recommend putting your authentic self out there. Branch out and make your own luck. Meet people. Try new things. Immerse yourself in all WSU and Pullman have to offer.

Additionally, make sure you not only make time for studying but also for self-care. You won’t be productive if you’re burnt out.

Read more about Ian’s work:

Ian’s published artwork: