What makes Washington State University stand out from the crowd for many of those looking to get an architecture degree?

For Jaclyn Allen, it started with community.

We ask the School of Design + Construction’s 2021 Outstanding Architecture Sophomore for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Name: Jaclyn Allen

Major: Architecture

Q: What made you decide to attend Washington State University?
A: I knew after I first visited that I could call this place my home.

I recommend attending WSU because I believe everyone can find a sense of community here. Since coming to WSU I’ve joined a sorority and gained a close group of friends. I have become more educated about the world and more aware of different perspectives that push me to expand my thinking and dream about the future.

Q: What advice do you have for incoming students?
A: Ask questions and trust the teaching process.

Sometimes classroom activities may not make sense at first, but in the end, you will realize the purpose of it all. Never be afraid to ask professors clarifying questions because you will learn so much more that way.

Q: What have you learned at WSU that will help you most in your future?
A: I choose to go into architecture because I have always loved design. Design can impact the way people feel within a space which is extremely powerful. I find it special that I can design those spaces for people.

My drawing skills have improved tremendously since I began studying at WSU. I have learned the different elements of design and the multitude of meanings that architecture invokes. Furthermore, I have become much more comfortable presenting my work in front of groups of people.

Q: What has been your favorite class?
A: Global History of Design has been my favorite class because I have loved learning about the evolution of design through different cultures and regions and how regions influence each other. The class is very organized and packs lots of information into every lecture. It inspires me to want to travel and see the topics we covered in person.