What makes Washington State University stand out from the crowd for many of those looking to get an engineering degree?

For Isobel Baetz, it starts with balance.

We ask WSU’s School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science’s 2021 Outstanding Junior for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Name: Isobel Baetz

Major: Electrical Engineering

Programs / Clubs / Interests / Activities: Girls Who Code- College Loops Club, Member of Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, Peer Mentor and Voiland College Student Ambassador

Q: Why would you recommend attending Washington State University?
A: WSU is such a great school to go to because it has allowed me to have a great balance while working towards my degree. There are days where its all class and studying, but there is never a week where I don’t see my friends, get outside, and have time for hobbies and work.

That was something I was worried about when I chose to go to college for an engineering degree- that it would be all work and no fun. But WSU offers so many opportunities outside of just academics and is in such a beautiful location and I am happy to say that is not the case.

Q: What advice do you have for incoming students?
A: Join clubs! There is so much to learn outside of your classes. Ask for help because no one in engineering succeeds by themselves.

As a tutor, I found the people who really wanted to succeed and understand the material were the ones willing to ask for help.

Think “Big Picture.” School can be such a rush that I think the best way to budget your time is to think- “What do I really want to accomplish this year?” and focus on that.

Q: What has been your favorite activity that you’ve been involved with at WSU?
A: I’ve been involved with the Girls Who Code, College Loops Club since I was a freshman. It has been such a great way for me to meet friends in my classes and pushed me to stay in computer science classes even beyond what is required for my major.

Outside of computer science activities, they reviewed my resume, helped me practice for job interviews, and held other events to better prepare me for a career once I graduate.

All the women in the club are so great to be around and it has been so fun to regularly see and talk with my peers – it is my favorite club for sure.