What makes Washington State University stand out from the crowd for many of those looking to get an engineering degree?

We ask chemical engineering major Gunnar Sly for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Gunnar Sly.

Name: Gunnar Sly

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2022

Major: Chemical Engineering

High School: University High School

Activities: VCEA Tutor, Undergraduate Research, Honors 198/298 Course Facilitating

Scholarship: Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship

Q: What have you experienced during your time at WSU, that will help you most in your future?

A: WSU has a unique approach to undergraduate research which encourages students of all backgrounds and abilities to get involved in critical thinking and analyses outside of their typical learning.

Through activities like SURCA, AIChE, and other sponsored regional or national conferences, participating in research can give you a great sense of what some of the highest levels of thinking you can apply to your major. Not only are you sharpening the fundamentals you learn in your core engineering courses, but you are also developing the mindset needed to be effective problem solvers, one of the most sought-after attributes for both industry and academia.

I will be attending graduate school in Fall 2022, and know now that WSU has given me all of the tools I need to be successful in my future studies and career.

Q: What made you decide to attend WSU? Why did you choose your major?

A: I had a really great AP Chemistry teacher back in my high school who is a major source of inspiration to me. He taught me my most basic instincts for teaching and showed me how an engineering degree can not only benefit the world by what you directly contribute, but also with who you help along the way. His degree was in chemical engineering, something which I would find aligned with my passions for applied chemistry perfectly after some brief introductions by him. Even though he himself is a UW alum, he encouraged me to seek a place that would fit my personality – he immediately knew that WSU would be the place I would find myself the happiest and encouraged me to apply.

After meeting the Voiland School for Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering faculty, seeing WSU’s Unit Operations Lab, and visiting research and instructional spaces, I knew that I had found a place I could call home at Washington State University.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students? What can you recommend they do to succeed in your major or at WSU?

I have always found that the best way for me to learn the material, while at the same time helping others where they may not be as sure-footed, was teaching the materials to each other – there’s a reason people say “the best way to learn is to teach.”

No matter what class you are in or what major you decide, never, ever, fear asking for help.

After going through many of my chemical engineering courses, I can say for certain that, when looking back, I can see no possible way I would have been able to do it without the support of my cohort and faculty members. Whether it was meeting up to do homework at outrageous hours, waiting patiently in 10th place in line to attend office hours, or studying in the group spaces, there’s nothing better than the sense of community that WSU creates for encouraging student success.

Q: What has been your favorite class, club, or program that you’ve been involved with at WSU, and why?

A: VCEA Tutoring Services have been a massive part in preparing me to explain engineering class materials in the future and has given me a strong foundation in my core chemical engineering skills. Being a tutor for nearly two years, I have had the chance to build relationships with the underclassmen and faculty to help support students in areas where they feel they struggle most. I’ve been lucky enough to witness students transform from uncertainty about their aptitude for engineering to being confident and successful in the work they do – it’s probably some of the most satisfying experiences of my time as an undergraduate! Becky Dueben, the Director of Tutoring Services, works tirelessly with the tutors to provide safe spaces for students to go through this change without fear of judgement – we’re here and committed to serving the students in whatever ways we can!