What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask architecture major Jovannie Laforga for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Jovannie Laforga.

Name: Jovannie Laforga

Expected Date of Graduation: June 2022

Major: Architecture

High School / Community College: Waipahu High School / Hawai’I Community College

Activities: AIAS, FASA, Hawai’I Club, Eunoia, Pacific Islander’s Club, Emerging Leaders Program, SEB Arts/Gallery, Chi Sigma Alpha National Sorority, Inc.

Q: How did you choose to major in architecture?

A: I chose architecture after a visit to Disneyland during my high school years, which sparked an epiphany.  I wanted to create spaces and buildings that allowed people to flourish in and generate memories from that they can forever recall back on.  I wanted to be a part of that and help others through the world of design.

Q: What made you decide to attend WSU?

A: My family did not want me traveling too far away from them, as I am a first-gen student.  Although accepted to a variety of other schools, when I physically got to visit the Pullman Campus.  It had the same school pride and culture as my high school, which sold me.   WSU also offered a onr-year accelerated program for architecture students, which is one of the few schools in the nation that offer that program.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students?

A: Stay true to yourself and learn to create your own foundation from your morals, goals, honesty, and ambitions.  Everything else will follow, such as networking, friendships, and achievements.  If your foundation is not strong, everything built on it will topple and fall.

Networking and stepping out of your comfort zone will forever be your best friend.  Join anything that interests you and do not be afraid to be yourself.  I would recommend keeping in mind your future goals after college, as well as possible internships that you would be interested in being a part of.  Especially when it comes to licensing for architecture, which is something many of us in our program were not aware of until we were junior undergraduates.