What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask mechanical engineering major Jose G. Solis for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Jose Solis.
Name: Jose G. Solis

Expected Date of Graduation: Fall 2023

Major: Mechanical Engineering

High School: Sunnyside High School

Activities: TMP, STARS, Sports, Sociology Club

Q: What have you learned in your major, or experienced in your classes or your activities during your time at WSU, that will help you most in your future?

A: The one thing I have learned the most throughout my time here at WSU as a Mechanical Engineering major, is the ability to manage my time effectively.

Q: Why did you choose your major? What made you decide to attend Washington State University?

A: I chose mechanical engineering because my lifelong dream is to one day go to space. I felt that the best way to do so was by coming the WSU, because of the reputation of their engineering program.

Q: How have you benefitted by attending WSU?

A: I have benefited dramatically by choosing Washington State University. I have made lifelong friends and I have made many connections with some important people in my field and other engineers in general.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students?

A: My greatest advice to anybody trying to major in the STEM field would definitely be to talk to the people around you!

I realized my freshman year that the person sitting next to you in your class can become a lifelong friend that you know will always be there. You never know how much commonalities you have with so many different kinds of people.

Q: What has been your favorite program that you’ve been involved with at WSU?

A: My favorite program I have been involved with would definitely be STARS and TMP, I have learned and grown so much as a person, student, and mentor that I hope to continue something similar to this after my education here at WSU comes to an end.