What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask mechanical engineering major Sara Minogue for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Sara Minogue

Name: Sara Minogue

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2023

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Activities: Society of Women Engineers, Boeing Mentorship Program, Kappa Delta Sorority

Q: What have you learned in your major, or experienced in your classes or your activities during your time at WSU, that will help you most in your future?

A: One thing I have learned at WSU that will help me in my future is to step out of my comfort zone. In all different aspects of my life, stepping out of my comfort zone has pushed me to grow and become a more well-rounded person. Growth happens when you are uncomfortable. Knowing where I was in 2019 when I was just starting out at WSU, seeing where I am today and all I have accomplished in these three years, I know none of it would have happened if I didn’t step out of my comfort zone.

Q: Why would you recommend attending Washington State University? How have you benefitted by attending WSU?

A: WSU is an amazing place to have a real college experience, and a family that you will have no matter where your future takes you. Pullman is such a special place and a total college town. The community supports the students and college, and we all do our best to give back.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students? What can you recommend they do to succeed in your major or at WSU?

A: Be bold. Be vocal about what you want to accomplish, go after your goals and put yourself in a position to get there. Make friends in your classes, build relationships with faculty, join a club, take a hard class. Don’t be afraid to do things that scare you. You will accomplish so much more if you are bold in what you do.

Q: What has been your favorite class, club, or program that you’ve been involved with at WSU, and why?

A: My favorite program I have been involved with at WSU would be the WSU Boeing Mentorship Program. I have always loved planes and flying, so working for Boeing was always a dream of mine. In the program I was paired with a mentor from Boeing and learned so much about being an engineer in industry and what opportunities are out there. Two years later, two Boeing Internships later, and two years full of wisdom and support from my mentor, I am very grateful.