What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask civil engineering major Tyler Worden for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Tyler Worden

Name: Tyler Worden

Expected Date of Graduation: Fall 2024

Major: Civil Engineering

Minor: Mathematics

Activities:

Scholarships:

• Regents Scholarship
  • Kenneth M. Chaplin Engineering Scholarship
  • John and Arline Truax Okanogan Scholarship

Q: Why did you choose your major?

A:  I discovered that civil engineering was a great degree for me because I love math and I was drawn to the Water Resource Club. When I began taking introductory courses, I was passionate about what I was learning and that’s when I knew that I had chosen the right major.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students? What can you recommend they do to succeed in your major or at WSU?

A: I strongly recommend getting involved and meeting people to be successful in civil engineering. Being involved can look different, too. Maybe you join a club or exchange contact information with the people sitting around you during your first week of class. Whatever your version of involvement looks like, knowing that you have a support system makes challenges less daunting.

Q: What has been your favorite class?

A: My favorite class at WSU so far has been my computer applications class with Karl Olsen. I loved learning the different applications in his class and finishing each unit feeling as if I could use the application in a workplace setting successfully. Before taking computer applications, I didn’t think I would be giddy over creating a project-specific map or Excel spreadsheet. However, I was so excited about what I was able to create and the skills I learned in that class.