What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask mechanical engineering major Thomas Hein for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Thomas Hein.

Name: Thomas Hein

Expected Date of Graduation: December 2024

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Hometown: Washougal, WA

Scholarships: Kaiser Aluminum Scholarship

Q: What made you decide to attend Washington State University?

A: I am a fourth-generation Coug, and I’ve had numerous other family members attend WSU too. I love the Palouse, and even though I’ve lived all over the country, I’ve been visiting campus since I was 3 years old! I guess you could say it runs in the family.

Q: Why did you choose your major?

A: I’ve always been interested in how things work and have had the opportunity to work on several classic cars and tractors, rebuilding engines, doing electrical work, and so on. Studying mechanical engineering has allowed me to not only see the behind-the-scenes work behind these systems but has also opened up windows into lots of other fields too.

Q: Why would you recommend attending Washington State University?

A: I absolutely recommend attending WSU, especially in the engineering college.
Attending WSU has given me the opportunity to not only learn and develop personally, but also improve my abilities to work both as part of a team and as a leader.

Every professor I’ve had is truly knowledgeable in their field and cares about making sure their students actually learn and can apply the material.

Aside from that, Pullman is a great place to live, and you get a real sense of community here, whether it’s on campus or in town. You can’t beat the views, either!

Q: What has been your favorite class or program that you’ve been involved with at WSU, and why?

A: I’m currently in ME312 (Manufacturing Engineering), and the lab portion of that class is just great. So far this semester we’ve been using both manual and CNC mills and lathes, and I love hands-on opportunities like that. Seeing the culmination of design and materials testing becoming a tangible product is pretty neat.