What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask chemical engineering major Loren Abbey for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Loren Abbey.

Name: Loren Abbey

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2024

Major: chemical engineering

High School/Community College: Lewis & Clark High/Spokane Falls Community College

Fellowships: 2024 DeVlieg Fellowship

Q: What does winning the DeVlieg Award mean to you?
A: Earning the DeVlieg award is an honor as it reinforced my efforts into renewable energy. A lot of the time people work very hard without being recognized or acknowledged, so to be rewarded for my hard work is very special in that sense.

Q: What is your area of research?
A: My area of research is clean hydrogen production.

I got involved in this area of research as I wanted to do something that has a positive outcome in the world. We all have a responsibility to nurture this world as it nurtures us. I just wanted to do something that made this world a better place not only for my family but for everyone.

Q: What made you decide to attend WSU? Why did you choose your major?
A: WSU has top-tier facilities for research and academics, and I knew that the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture’s chemical engineering program was the best in the state. The professors have amazing backgrounds that directly work into the curriculum. Chemical engineers tackle some of the most important issues in today’s society, and I wanted to be a part of the solution.

Q: What has been your favorite that you’ve been involved with at WSU, and why?
A: My favorite class was Transport Phenomenon. I’m the type of person to marvel at a stream flowing by a curb on a rainy day; this class allowed me to understand the intricacies of that process. Research was also amazing; being able to be hands on and put the ideas and concepts you learn in class to work in the lab was very helpful. Learning topics is one thing, using them to advance society is another.