What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask civil engineering major Seger Smith for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Seger Smith

Name: Seger Smith

Expected Date of Graduation: Fall 2024

Major: Civil Engineering

High School: North Thurston High School

Activities:

Scholarships:

• Distinguished University Achievement Award
  • Swan Endowment Fund Scholarship
  • Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture Dean’s Scholarship

Q: What made you decide to attend Washington State University?

A:  I decided to come to WSU for connections! The university has a global outreach that can be a great help when attempting to find your first internship or research opportunity. I have always wanted to work in private consulting, so WSU is perfect as it affords endless opportunities to network and discover your first step into the architecture and engineering industries.

Q: Why did you choose your major?

A: I selected civil engineering primarily due to my interests in infrastructure. The primary reason I landed with civil engineering is the ability to make such vast change for so many people who use the crucial infrastructure in the United States. My interests in technology also guided me toward my major as it utilizes drafting and design software for numerous subsets of the discipline.

Q: What advice do you have for new students?

A: As an incoming student, you must keep an open mind and be willing to adapt to change. Being mindful of these things, you can change with the times and adapt to new challenges that your education and life may pose. I also advise students to be aware of and utilize the department specific and mental health resources available like Cougar Health Services and the Math Learning Center.