What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask mechanical engineering major Sarah Carlson for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Sarah Carlson.

Name: Sarah Carlson

Expected Date of Graduation: December 2023

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Hometown: Richland, WA

Scholarships: Ellis C. Hendrickson scholarship, Regents Scholarship, Masson D. Bruce Scholarship, J Howard Kittel Scholarship

Q: Why did you decide to major in mechanical engineering?

A: I chose mechanical engineering because I have always been fascinated by the way things work.

I have always had a curious mind, trying to work through in my head the process that things go through to work and how someone was able to figure it out. I wanted to go from wondering, to knowing, to being the person to create the objects. I also appreciate how broad mechanical engineering truly is, and I feel like you can never get bored in engineering.

Q: Why did you choose Washington State University?

A: I decided to attend WSU because I was drawn to the passion this school has. WSU has so many great resources for its students, and you can tell the faculty wants you to succeed and learn.

Q: What has been your favorite class?

A: Manufacturing Engineering is one of my favorite classes here at WSU. This class is very hands-on and engaging in its content. The lab allowed students to work with different machines and techniques.

I have also greatly enjoyed my nuclear engineering classes. The topics are interesting, and the professors are engaging. The intro to nuclear engineering classes helped me discover a passion for nuclear engineering.