What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask computer science major Ethan Villalovoz for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Ethan Villalovoz.

Name: Ethan Villalovoz

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2025

Major: Computer Science

Hometown: El Dorado Hills, CA

Activities: CS Research Mentorship Program Mentee, Google; Undergraduate Research Assistant, Doppa Laboratory; Math Learning Center Tutor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics; Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, Washington State University

Scholarships: Generation Google Scholarship Recipient, John W. and Anna M. Scott Fund for Academic Excellence Scholarship Recipient, EECS General Scholarship Fund Recipient, Voiland College of Engineering & Architecture Dean’s Scholarship Recipient

Q: What made you decide to attend Washington State University?

A: I chose to attend WSU primarily because of the university’s strong reputation in my field of study, which is computer science.

WSU’s computer science program is renowned for its quality curriculum and faculty, and that was a major draw for me.

Additionally, the campus environment, the availability of research opportunities, and the affordability of tuition were all factors that influenced my decision.

Q: Have you been involved with any activities outside of class?

A: I completed a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) at Oregon State University during the summer of my freshman year.

During the REU, I worked as a research assistant under my PI, Dr. Heather Knight, and graduate mentor, Dr. Alexandra Bacula. It was a great experience to dive into robotics research, which allowed me to become a second author on a published paper for IROS 2023 the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems!

I also completed an internship with Google during the summer of my sophomore year.

During the internship, I worked as a STEP Intern at Google Core. It was an eye-opening experience that allowed me to apply the knowledge I gained at WSU in a real-world setting. I learned about industry best practices, gained valuable teamwork and communication skills, and solidified my career goals in the tech industry.

I’m also an active member of the WSU Association for Computing Machinery Student Chapter (ACM).

Being a member of ACM has allowed me to network with fellow computer science enthusiasts, collaborate on tech projects, and gain insights from industry professionals. Being part of this club has not only enriched my academic experience but also expanded my professional network, providing opportunities for internships and career development.

Q: What advice do you have for new students to succeed in college?

A: My experience at WSU has been incredibly rewarding. The combination of rigorous academic programs, a supportive community, and diverse opportunities for learning and growth has not only prepared me for a successful career but has also fostered personal development.

To that end, I think it’s crucial to stay organized, manage your time effectively, and maintain a healthy work-life balance. Be proactive in seeking help when needed and collaborate with your peers. Engage in internships or research projects to gain practical experience. Lastly, never stop learning and stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies in your field, as the tech industry is constantly evolving.

Q: What do you want to do with your degree after you graduate?

A: Upon graduation, I aspire to pursue higher education and enroll in a graduate program to obtain a Ph.D. in computer science.

I’m particularly interested in research within artificial intelligence, robotics, and bioinformatics. In the long term, I aim to become a research scientist within industry with a company such as Google Deepmind.