What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask mechanical engineering major Victoria Stefoglo for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Victoria Stefoglo.

Name: Victoria Stefoglo

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2024

Major: Mechanical Engineering, Honors College

Hometown: Spokane, WA

Q: Why would you recommend attending Washington State University?

A: In my experience, I feel that WSU equipped me with the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in my internships. Then through my internships, I was able to build upon that knowledge and become even more prepared to enter industry.

WSU also gave me the flexibility to pursue what I’m passionate about while pursuing my degree, which allowed me to dabble in some student clubs, take on campus jobs, and still have time for friends and family.

Q: Have you participated in any internships while in college?

A: I participated in three internships in the aerospace industry during my undergraduate degree.

I landed my first internship as a sophomore at WSU’s Spring Career Fair, when I made the bold decision to approach the Collins Aerospace table. I quickly landed an interview, and within two weeks had an internship offer!

The summer after my junior year, I interned at Boeing as a structures engineer in Everett, Wash. Little did I know that my senior year would get pushed back one semester, because in the middle of my summer internship at Boeing, I was offered a fall internship at SpaceX in McGregor, TX.

Victoria Stefoglo poses in front of a SpaceX building.

Victoria Stefoglo poses in front of the Boeing sign.
Victoria Stefoglo poses beside the Collins Aerospace sign.

I am grateful for each and every one of these experiences, as they have provided me with a unique perspective on the aerospace/aviation industry.

Besides all the engineering knowledge I have gained, my internships helped me narrow down which direction I would like to go in the future. Each company had its own unique experience, and through all those projects and networking in the companies, I now understand the type of company structure/professional environment I thrive in.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students?

A: Don’t be afraid to ask questions in class when something is unclear. You can save yourself hours of alone time trying to figure something out by simply asking in class and arriving at the solution much quicker. Asking more questions in class is definitely something I wish I did more of!

I have also enjoyed doing the bulk of my homework in the Tutoring Center and in the student collaboration zones, because there’s usually always people in there who are in the same classes as you, and collaborating on homework can make for a much better learning experience.

Q: What have you learned during your time at WSU, that will help you most in your future?

A: “Where there is a will, there is a way.”

If you have a career goal in mind that you want to achieve, then use your passion to just keep on going, even when it gets uncomfortable!

Ever since I started at WSU, I have experienced so many different opportunities in engineering. My path towards my goal wasn’t always clear, but the important thing was that I kept pressing forward and trying new things.

I learned that taking any step forward is better than taking no steps, no matter how big or small it may seem. So go join that student club, take on that crazy project, or go join that research lab if you see a potential path there. You never know where it could lead you!