What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask construction engineering major Johan Rivera for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Johan Rivera.

Name: Johan Rivera

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2025

Major: Construction Engineering

Hometown: Maple Valley, Washington

Activities: Chicanx/Latinx Student Center mentor

Scholarships: MSS Mentor Scholarship, Leon Yates Scholarship, Jaquish Civil and Environmental Engineering Scholarship

Q: How have you benefitted by attending WSU?

A: Washington State University offers many opportunities to students who are willing to pursue them. The collaboration that WSU has with industry partners has helped me secure various internships and job opportunities. As a freshman, I obtained my first internship with the assistance of VCEA Career Services.

I have also found academic success due to available resources such as VCEA Tutoring Services.

Throughout my time at WSU, I have wanted to give back to the community that supported me and enrolled in the Compass Mentor Program, where I advise 25 students during their first year at WSU.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students? What can you recommend they do to succeed in your major or at WSU?

A: Be open-minded and not afraid to fail. I feel like failure has taught me more about being successful than the success that I have had.

Students should also not be afraid to pursue internships as freshmen.

There are plenty of resources around campus that can help prepare students with resumes and mock interviews.

Pullman can make students feel lonely, so finding or creating your community within your major will help a lot.

Lastly, getting involved with school events or leadership positions is key to success. It will help you strengthen your weaknesses and provide practice in leading others.