What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask electrical engineering major Gary Fishel for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Gary Fishel.

Name: Gary Fishel

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2024

Major: Electrical Engineering

High School/Community College/Home Town: North Kitsap High School/Olympic College/Poulsbo, WA

Scholarships: Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Scholarship Program, Eugene L. Gochnauer Scholarship and Science Endowment Fund

Q: Why did you choose to attend Washington State University?

A: I chose to attend WSU because I was ready for a new adventure in life. After graduating from high school in the town that I had grown up in, I first attended a nearby community college, commuting 30 minutes away for classes while working in a grocery store to save money for the remainder of my time in college.

After completing over two years towards my degree, I decided to transfer to branch out into a new chapter of life. It allowed me to pursue the degree I was passionate about while forging my own path in life. I was now geographically and culturally far away from the life that I had known, all while remaining reasonably close to the friends, family, and home that I love.

The reciprocal rewards and adventures that have arrived as a result of this choice have been incredibly gratifying, and it was the first of several steps that have instilled in me the belief that I can go anywhere and do anything with my life as I choose, particularly now that I am on the doorsteps of graduating with my degree in electrical engineering, once again preparing for another grand adventure of life.

Q: What school activities have you enjoyed the most at WSU?

A: Although I am an engineer by major, it would be a shame to have missed out on some of the other opportunities that WSU has to offer, including participating in the student-led radio station on campus, KZUU 90.7 FM.

This station has been an incredible outlet for me to make new connections, engage parts of my personality and self that are not necessarily focused on within my degree, push myself beyond my comfort level, and participate in the fun and unique experience of being a radio host! I love when I get to share about my opportunity as a radio DJ and can see people light up with interest and intrigue. On multiple occasions, as I have been introduced to new people from all walks of life, we have been able to find common ground in being college radio DJs and have reminisced together on what tend to be remarkable memories.

Q: Have you had any internships while at WSU?

A: I interned for Northrop Grumman in Baltimore, MD during the summer of 2022, as well as Holland & Hart in Boulder, CO during the summer of 2023.

The experience gained from both internships has been incredibly rewarding, between a more traditional electrical engineering role for Northrop Grumman, as well as an alternative career option as a patent engineer for Holland & Hart.

Beyond the practical on-the-job experience gained through these summers, the incredible wealth of adventures made possible through these opportunities is invaluable, including traveling to some of the most beautiful parts of the United States, trying new foods, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, and so many more things that happen along the way. It is incredible to see all the ways that my life has changed and all the adventures that I have gained because of taking these opportunities.

If I could share one piece of advice regarding internships, it would be to take the greatest shot you can, because the reward that awaits on the other side is incomprehensibly great, and you can never know exactly where that opportunity may become a reality.