What makes Washington State University stand out from the crowd for many of those looking to get an engineering degree? It starts with a supportive community.

We ask computer engineering major Alex White for thoughts on what makes WSU Pullman such a special place.

Name: Alex White

Expected Date of Graduation: Fall 2021

Major: Computer Engineering

High School/Community College: Ponderosa High School – Sierra Community College

Q: What made you decide to attend WSU?
A: Washington State University has a good engineering program and when I came from California to tour I fell in love with the campus and community here. I have been able to apply myself to what I’ve been learning and meet a lot of new friends and connections along the way.

Q: What tips can you offer new students on how to succeed?
A: I recommend putting in the time to master everything you’ve learned in class, especially early on. COVID-19 and online schooling have made learning more difficult and it is very important to keep in contact with classmates and work together with the professors to get it done however you can. The ability to work with others and solve unforeseen problems are some of the biggest things I will take with me in future endeavors.

Q: What has been your favorite class, club, or program that you’ve been involved with at WSU, and why?
A: Taking Engineering 420/421 has been the most rewarding work out of any of my classes taken so far. An interdisciplinary class that allows the students to create their own project based on a problem they are passionate about gives not only the ability but the motivation to apply themselves and get stuff done. It is a lot of work and at times can feel overwhelming, but it is a lot of fun and more fulfilling than any other project class I have taken. I would recommend this path to anyone with a passion project or an interest in entrepreneurship because it really prepares the students who finish it for the real world.

Using Trash to Create Electricity

Working as part of a multidisciplinary team, Alex White and his fellow engineering students have developed an idea for a small-scale gasification device that would allow Nigerians and people from other countries with a limited electric power grid to convert their trash to electricity. Earlier this year, they received a grant from University of Washington to develop a prototype and were one of 16 finalists in UW’s recent Alaska Airlines Environmental Innovation Challenge, where they won the $5,000 EarthLab Community Impact Prize. The WSU team will also compete in both the UW and WSU business plan competitions.

Read about the team’s project.