What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask computer science major Shira Feinberg for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Shira Feinberg.

Name: Shira Feinberg

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2023

Major: Computer Science

High School: Juanita High School (Cambridge Program)

Activities: Association for Computing Machinery, Crimson Code Hackathon, Girls Who Code College Loops

Q: What have you learned in your major, or experienced in your classes or your activities during your time at WSU, that will help you most in your future?

A: Throughout my time here at WSU, I learned how to use my time efficiently and work on programming assignments using version control systems. This helped me improve my communication and teamwork skills. Furthermore, by becoming the President of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), I gained leadership experience and was even able to direct the 10th Annual Crimson Code Hackathon, where over 200 students participated.

Q: What made you decide to attend WSU? Why did you choose your major?

A: Ever since I was little, I’ve enjoyed problem solving and helping as many people in my community as possible, which is why I decided to major in Computer Science. I chose to attend Washington State University because I really enjoy how WSU feels like one big community and we always support one another: Cougs help Cougs!

Q: Why would you recommend attending Washington State University? How have you benefitted by attending WSU?

A: Washington State University students pride themselves on helping each other out. This is seen through the Voiland College’s mentorship program, tutoring, professors truly taking the time to help students, and so much more. All these programs have helped me grow and land internships.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students? What can you recommend they do to succeed in your major or at WSU?

A: For any fellow or prospective students, I would highly recommend utilizing resources on campus, attending events, and most importantly, networking! There are numerous helpful resources around campus that can help with anything and everything, so take advantage of them. Our time in college is short, so make the most out of it by going to events. Lastly, network as much as possible, you never know where people might end up and they can always help you in the future.

Q: What has been your favorite class, club, or program that you’ve been involved with at WSU, and why?

A: My favorite club on campus would have to be the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and my favorite program would have to be the Crimson Code Hackathon. The ACM helped me find a community of like-minded students with common interests. This same community worked together to put on the Crimson Code Hackathon where students work in teams to create a program based on a theme. It’s great to see such a large community come together to implement what they learned in class and learn new skills to create unique and fun projects.

Learn more about Shira’s involvement: