What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask computer science major Jared Kelnhofer for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Jared Kelnhofer

Name: Jared Kelnhofer

Expected Date of Graduation: December 2024

Major: Computer Science

High School: Walla Walla High School, Southeast Area Technical Skills Center

Scholarships:

• Emeritus Undergraduate Research Award in Engineering and Applied Science 2022
  • Washington State Opportunity Scholars Baccalaureate Scholarship, 2022-2024
  • Crimson Transfer Award

Q: What made you decide to attend WSU?

A: I had the wonderful opportunity of engaging in undergrad research through a WSU-hosted program. After working with some awesome faculty members on some really interesting problems in Artificial Intelligence research, I decided to go to school here!

Q: Why did you choose your major?

A: I’m majoring in computer science because I can’t think of a single large business that isn’t entirely reliant on computers.

Q: How have you benefitted by attending WSU?

A: WSU has taught me a lot about how to apply myself to difficult challenges without obvious solutions. I’ve also met a lot of fantastic students and professors here who have improved my life in so many ways. The WSU community is supportive and very friendly to new students, which I appreciated, being a transfer student myself.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students? What can you recommend they do to succeed in your major or at WSU?

A: I’d recommend getting involved in research with a faculty member. Not only is it a resume bump, but you’ll get a sneak peek at some of the things you might be doing after school. I also highly recommend checking out at least a few clubs—there’s really something here for everyone!