What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask mechanical engineering major Aukusitino Ah-Yek for his thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Aukusitino Ah-Yek.

Name: Aukusitino Ah-Yek

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2024

Major: Mechanical Engineering

High School / Community College: Columbia River High School, Clark Community College

Activities: WSU Cougs in Space, WSU Jazz Big Band, previous intern at Blue Origin and SpaceX

Q: What made you decide to attend Washington State University?

A: I chose to attend WSU because I loved the school spirit!

I chose to pursue mechanical engineering because of my passion for designing new things and curiosity behind why things work. I have always had a passion for space travel, so mechanical engineering was a terrific way for me to combine my strengths and passion.

Q: What advice do you have for students to succeed in your major or at WSU?

• Be curious. Do not ever accept “Because that’s just how it works” as an answer. Always challenge the concepts and always question why.
  • Show grit. Mechanical engineering is tough, pursuing the space industry is tough. You are going to have failures, bad days, failed exams, job rejections, mistakes. Failure is inevitable, but it’s also a chance to learn, and you never have to accept it.
  • Be a leader, and be a Coug! Show your passion, help your peers, hold yourself and your work to a high standard, and take on challenges head on.
  • Be ambitious! There is no limit to what you can accomplish. If you have a goal or a dream, relentlessly pursue it. Your professors, your peers, even alumni can provide guidance!

Q: What is your favorite club that you have been involved with at WSU?

A: Cougs in Space! The club is filled with passionate like-minded students all working together to achieve a greater goal. The club is a community where students can rely and build upon each other to reach their goals.

Members of the club have gone to work for companies like SpaceX, Nasa, Northrop Grumman, Blue Origin, Rocket Lab, and more.

Q: What has been your favorite class at WSU?

A: Combustion Engines with Jake Leachman would be my favorite course as Jake does a great job breaking down fundamental physics while connecting it to applied, real world concepts. Jake also makes the class fun and learning how to turn fuel’s destructive power into useful energy is neat.