What makes Washington State University’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture stand out from the crowd for those looking to get a degree?

We ask computer science major Emma Johnson for her thoughts on what makes WSU such a special place.

Emma Johnson.

Name: Emma Johnson

Expected Date of Graduation: May 2025

Major: Computer Science

High School/Home Town: Mark Morris High School/Longview, WA

Scholarships/Fellowships:

• Advanced Engineering and Scientific Computing Research in Sweden Fellowship
  • John W. and Anna M. Scott Fund for Academic Excellence
  • WSU Alumni Lower Columbia Leadership Award
  • ACM SIGBED Undergrad scholar
  • Gibson Scholarship
  • Doug and Loretta Allred Endowed Scholarship in Computer Science
  • WSU Regents Scholar
  • VCEA Dean’s Scholarship

Q: What made you decide to attend WSU? Why did you choose your major?
A: I decided to attend WSU for two main reasons: the community and its affordability.

Although I was skeptical at first, the phrase “Cougs Help Cougs” is real in Washington State University. The community in Pullman is so friendly, helpful and wants you to succeed.

WSU wants you in its community; I remember receiving an acceptance from another school that just said, “You’ve been accepted,” not even with an exclamation mark. Unlike them, WSU made me feel like I belonged through handwritten letters, enthusiasm in their acceptance, and support in prepping for college.

Q: Why would you recommend attending Washington State University? How have you benefitted by attending WSU?
A: People want you to succeed at WSU. I’ve benefitted from professors and faculty caring enough to send opportunities my way, write me letters of recommendation, and provide flexibility when life happens.

Q: What advice do you have for fellow or prospective students?
A: It’s said a lot, but it holds truth: GET INVOLVED. Unsure of your abilities? That’s okay—college is the perfect place to learn and grow. Embrace opportunities, as they might unveil new passions or skills that you never knew you had. Regretting missed chances is far worse than the discomfort of trying something new. Remember, if you don’t enjoy it, you can always pivot, but if you find something you love, it could shape your entire future. So, seize the unique opportunities college offers.

Q: What clubs are you involved in on campus?
A: I’m grateful for my participation in the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). Being part of SWE has been incredibly rewarding, particularly in fostering a supportive community among women in engineering. It’s comforting to connect with others who share similar experiences and to collaborate on uplifting one another.

SWE also offers ample opportunities for professional development, such as events like Evening with Industry, where numerous companies engage with students over dinner, facilitating valuable networking opportunities. Additionally, SWE has played a role in my personal growth through events like Kid Science and Engineering Day (KSED), where we educate young students about STEM subjects. Engaging in this event has revealed my passion for teaching and highlighted the fulfillment found in giving back to the community.

Q: Have you participated in any research projects related to your field of study?
A: This past semester, I was fortunate to participate in a research/study abroad program in Linkoping, Sweden. We worked in groups on research projects related to scientific computing.

This was a challenging experience for me, not only learning about a whole new field of research, but also living abroad. Through this experience I met a lot of amazing people, I was able to travel to five different countries, and get valuable insight into what computing research is used for and how the research field works.

Q: Have you participated in any internships related to your field of study?
A: The first internship I had was with Weyerhaeuser, an international lumber company, where I learned about manufacturing and the intricate logic and automation that goes into managing such a large operation.

My second internship was with Microsoft and Cyborg Mobile, where I learned about project management and software development. I received weekly one-on-one mentoring from a senior project manager. In addition, I worked with a team to develop a web app from ideation to the minimum viable product with individual help from our supporting project manager and software developer. I was able to learn a lot about big tech and software engineering.

I’m excited to return to Microsoft this summer as a software engineering intern.