The Student Club Advantage

Fifteen Material Advantage club members pose in Dana Hall.
WSU Material Advantage Club, 2015-2016

Materials science and engineering is the study of polymers, metals, ceramics, and nano-materials, and how these materials help construct the products that are used in our everyday lives.

Washington State University materials science majors Hailey Warren and Ally Osmanson recently stopped by to share their experiences with this exciting field and their involvement with Voiland College’s thriving student club scene.

Portrait of Hailey Warren.
Hailey Warren
Portrait of Allison Osmanson.
Allison Osmanson

Q: What made you decide to major in materials science?

Ally: I switched my focus a few times before I found materials science. It wasn’t until I took MSE 201 with Professor Amit Bandyopadhyay that I realized materials science was for me.

Hailey: I was drawn to materials science at WSU because I’m interested in learning why things are the way that they are and the materials used to make them.

Q: Are you involved with any student clubs on campus?

Ally: I’m in several clubs and organizations around campus, like Material Advantage Club, Society of Women Engineering, TMS, WSU 3D Printing club, and I’m vice president of the Delta Xi Phi Sorority. I’m also a Future City Competition mentor at Moscow Middle School.

Being a part of these clubs has given me the skills of learning how to balance my time, leadership opportunities, and willingness to step up in many of my other groups.

Hailey: I’m active in Material Advantage Club. We take part in a lot of community activities, like highway cleanups and the Society of Women Engineers’ Kid’s Science Day.

Being a part of the Material Advantage has helped give me a lot of exposure to outside connections.

Five students standing in a row with arms around each other's shoulders.
Material Advantage club members Wesley Bollinger, Delany Ferrell, Ian Davis, Joanna Mader, and Patrick Olcott at Kid’s Science and Engineering Day.

Q: What has your experience as a materials science major taught you?

Ally: The coolest part of materials science is learning why something broke or finding out about how materials are used in certain parts of objects at a microscopic level. I’ve also learned a lot about social networking. It’s hard to get through classes without making friends.

Q: What do you plan on doing after graduation?

Hailey: I graduate in May, and I’ve already applied to the University of Washington to pursue my Master’s degree. I want to either work with aerospace composites or in a bio-materials lab. Either would be nice.

Ally: After I graduate in December, I’m planning on attending graduate school in the field of medicine, where I hope to study polymers or medicinal prosthetics.

Student Clubs

Learn more about all the 30+ student clubs and professional organizations at WSU’s Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture.