Mission, vision, and values
As a core college in a Research University with Very High research activity,* as well as a land-grant university, our mission is threefold:
- To conduct fundamental and applied disciplinary and cross-cutting research that leads to new knowledge, transformative technology, and innovative designs.
- To educate and prepare students through state-of-the-art programs, preparing them for professional careers and leadership in engineering and design professions.
- To engage people, industry, and communities to improve quality of life and enhance economic development.
*According to the latest Carnegie Classifications
Founded on the principles of collaboration, innovation, and transformation, the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture is a world leader in providing solutions to societal grand challenges and quality “work-ready, day-one” graduates.
We wholeheartedly endorse the values stated in the WSU Strategic Plan:
- Quality and Excellence: We are committed to providing quality and excellence in all our
- Integrity, Trust, and Respect: We are committed to ensuring trust and respect for all persons in an environment that cultivates individual and institutional integrity in all that we do.
- Discovery, Innovation, and Creativity: We are committed to the pursuit of inquiry and discovery and to the creation and dissemination of knowledge.
- Land-grant Ideals: We are committed to the land-grant ideals of access, engagement, leadership, and service to bring the practical benefits of education to the state, nation, and global community.
- Diversity and Global Citizenship: We embrace a world view that recognizes and values the importance of diversity, global interdependence, and sustainability.
- Freedom of Expression: We are committed to the free exchange of ideas in a constructive and civil environment.
- Stewardship and Accountability: We are committed to serving as ethical and responsible stewards of WSU resources.